2.09.2009

Awake.

A few weeks ago, I posted a picture of my then newly purchased watch on my flickr photo stream, a Casio GLS-5600X-6JR. This specific watch is a collaboration between Casio and Hawaiian streetwear company in4mation. This release was extremely limited and I was extremely lucky to get one and although mine was sent to me from New York City, Casio being a Japanese company, pre-set all of these watches to Japanese standard time. Not a problem, with a few clicks of the control buttons I had it set to eastern standard time with the correct day, date, and year, with no help from the instruction manual which is printed entirely in Japanese, I might add. Since the watch's arrival, it has started a pattern of an intense combination of beeps and flashes at exactly 12:00am EST, or 2:00pm JST, which continues for exactly 20 seconds, stops for 5 minutes, and begins again. This pattern continues until 1:00am EST, or 3:00pm JST, waking me up every step of the way. I still haven’t figured out how to work this god forsaken watch which I am ever so grateful to be blessed with. Alas, I'm reminded of a text referencing Japanese electronics that brings me comfort:

"A Japanese woman we'd met in Paris came to the apartment yesterday and spent several hours explaining our appliances. The microwave, the watter kettle, the electric bathtub: everything blinks and bleeps and calls out in the middle of the night. I'd wondered what the rice maker was carrying on about, and Reiko told us that it was on a timer and simply wanted us to know that it was present and ready for duty. That was the kettle's story as well, while the tub was just being an asshole and waking us up for no reason."

1 Comments:

Blogger TURK said...

That's really funny and unforunate for you.

10:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home